Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Review: Blue Scholars @ Pacific University

Sorry it's been a while, school's been killing em and I can't get any photos ripped of my cell phone. Anyway, I heard about this Blue Scholars concert out at Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR the day it was happening, so I told all my friends and mustered 3 of them to go with me. I'll break this session down into so key components for you.

1. Venue: The PU Mensch Festival is some hippy shit that happens on the quad of the campus. The campus itself is really nice, but the festival was pretty low grade. However, things were pretty simple, the crowd was relatively small, and there was plenty of grass to sit on (we only stood though). Overall, it wasn't that bad, but if Blue Scholars hadn't been there, there's no way you would've caught me checking on that hippy shit.
2. Performace: The Blue Scholars rocked the campus hard. They played some new tracks off their EP, OOF! that they've never played live before and rocked some of their old joints off their self-titled debut album. They even played a song off their EP, Butter and Gun$ (and of course a few off Bayani). DJ Sabzi and MC Geologic sounded tight and played some awesome tracks. The stage was humble, but they rocked it as hard as it could be rocked. They even let the crowd up no the stage for a few songs. The only thing that got me was that when Geo asked if we'd heard about their new EP, I shouted "OOF!" and he gave me a straight-up death glare then started another song. I don't know what the hell was up with that.
3. Quality: The sound quality was good for the performance. Despite taking a while to get the mics and sound equipment in sync, everything turned out alright. The bass was powerful, but not too much. I didn't hear any squeaking mics either, so it was good. But like I said, the stage was pretty humble, but it was quality.
Song list (from memory): 27, Bayani, Blue School, Coo?, HI-808, Inkwell, Loyalty, No Rest For The Weary, Sagaba, Second Chapter, and a few others I can't remember or didn't know their names.

Final Decision:
I'd go again next year if Blue Scholars show again. As long as Geo doesn't kill me.
Also, I shook Sabzi's hand.

----------------
Now playing: DJ Spooky - Creation Rebel

No comments:

Post a Comment