Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Gigography" and Bumbershoot 09

Ever since I joined this site Songkick, I've been more dialed into music than I ever have. So I thought I'd share my "gigography" as they call it and let you in on some of the upcoming shows I'll be at.
1. Kanye West @ the Rose Garden: This show wasn't all that great because I'm not a fan of Kanye. His opening acts were alright though. He had Lupe Fiasco and NERD which were both, in my opinion, probably better than Kanye himself. The lighting and stage and everything was pretty cool though. At the end of the show Kanye ranted about all his haters and how he was the best. My conclusion is that he's a douche.
2. Lil Wayne @ the Rose Garden: As with the last concert, somebody bought these tickets for me. As my musical taste has evolved, I've come to like Weezy less and less. But at the time, he was one of my favorites and I thought he tore the place up. His opening acts were trash, but he practically blew me away with his epic show. He played some of his best songs and had a ton of guests come out and lay down some bars with him. Overall, a good show, but an overrated artist. Side note: the guy behind me got a lap dance haha.
3. Dead Prez @ the Roseland Theater: I found this concert through Songkick. This venue wrecked the greatness of Dead Prez. The concert was 4 hours long with 3 hours of opening acts and no seating, all standing. By the time Dead Prez came out, I was ready to go home. The sound system also sucked ass. M-1 had to cut a few songs short because the mics were squealing so bad. Dead Prez is a great duo, but the Roseland Theater is a terrible venue.

Now, here's what I've got in the works for the coming months:
1. Bumbershoot 2009 (Sept. 5-7): This is a huge music festival in Seattle that happens each year at the Seattle Center. The groups that are playing that I want to see are Common Market and Swollen Members. It's a three day festival, but I'll only be there for one day (Sept. 6th). Check the website for details, it's going to be legit.
2. D. Black CD Release (Oct. 3): This is going to be a normal venue up in Seattle at the Vera Project (a local spot for underground music). I haven't really heard of D. Black, but Common Market will be there and Prometheus Brown is hosting it, so it should be a pretty chill venue. I'm not sure if I'm going to be up for making the trek to Seattle again though.

Comment and share some of the venues you've been to, and come to Bumbershoot in September.

----------------
Now playing: Zion I - Caged Bird Pt. 1 (feat. Brother Ali)

No comments:

Post a Comment